Bulldogs on wrong end of wild NAIA top 20 shootout

Published 7:20 pm Tuesday, November 5, 2019

By Union Athletics

MARION, Ind. — In what could be a preview of what is in store, Union College men’s basketball went down to the wire and then some with IU East, only to fall 105-99 in overtime on Saturday in an NAIA Top 20 showdown.

Email newsletter signup

The game was part of the Caleb Dimmich Memorial Classic at Indiana Wesleyan University in Marion, Ind.

The loss drops No. 17 Union to 0-2 on the year, while the 13th-ranked Red Wolves improve to 1-1.


Like a true heavyweight bout, Union and IU East traded punches all evening with the lead changing hands 29 times and the score tied 19 times. Ronnie Carson appeared to give Union the win with a bucket with eight seconds left, making it 88-87 Bulldogs. However, Bishop Smith was fouled with three seconds left, and the Red Wolf hit 1-of-2 free throws to send the game into overtime at 88-all.

Jakobe Wharton put Union up early in the extended period, but a 7-2 run sent IU East up 97-92. The Bulldogs got the margin down to two twice with the final time coming following a pair of Derek Morgan free throws, making it 101-99 with 1:18 left. Yet, IU East hit 4-of-6 free throws down the stretch to seal the 105-99 outcome.


Carson posted a team-high 25 points on 9-of-15 shooting from the field and going 7of-8 from the foul line. He also grabbed eight rebounds, dished out four assists, and had two steals.


Five Bulldogs scored in double figures. After Carson, Wharton led the way with 22, while Morgan and Nick Marshall added 15 each, and Austin Cummins knocked in 12.

Shooting from long range was the difference in the game. Union went 6-for-25 (24 percent) on 3-pointers, while IU East hit 14-of-35 (40 percent).

Union outrebounded IU East 48-43. Morgan tied Marshall for the team lead with nine rebounds.


Union jumps into Appalachian Athletic Conference (AAC) play on Wednesday as it travels to Bryan College (Tenn.) for a 7:30 p.m. tip.