Wing Fling has another successful year
Published 5:15 pm Monday, August 5, 2019
It was a beautiful day but it was a hot one for one of Middlesboro’s biggest growing events, the annual Wing Fling.
Saturday was the 5th Annual Wing Fling. The heat didn’t stop wing lovers from across the tri-state area from coming out and turning up the temps even more by taste testing the dozens of wings. Once the taste testing was done, it was time to then cast the vote for the best hot wing in the competition.
“A big shout out to our Mayor Rick Nelson, City Superintendent Kevin Barnett and Bell County Tourism Director Jon Grace for all the help with running the event,” Middlesboro Main Street Director Emily Ayers said. “You guys are great to work with and make it easy on setting everything up.”
According to Ayers, a lot of hard work goes into putting events like this together, but it makes it easier when the community comes together and helps complete the event.
“We can’t thank you enough,” she reiterated.
“A huge shout out to all my friends who put on a great event at the Middlesboro Wing Fling Festival yesterday,” Grace said. “Thank you to all who sponsored and to everyone who came out. It’s becoming one of the coolest events in our area, and it’s because folks are working hard to make sure everything goes off without a hitch. Great job everyone.”
The winners of the individual competitions are as follows:
The winners of the Wing Eating Competition were:
• Third Place Winner with 1.49 pounds Nic Shoffner;
• Second Place Winner with 1.73 pounds Travis Hart;
• First Place Winner with 1.85 pounds Daniel Derringer.
The winners of the Fan Favorites category were:
• Third Place with 99 votes: RoHo;
• Second Place with 136 votes: First Baptist Friars;
• First Place with 155 votes: Ron by the Creek.
The winners of the Best Overall Wings were:
• Third Place Winner: Just Wing It;
• Second Place Winner: Frakes Fire Department;
• First Place Winner: State Farm Jeremy Gordon.