Shooter identified in Bell County investigation

Published 2:43 pm Monday, March 25, 2019

A Pineville man has admitted to shooting 27-year-old Jeffery Dewayne Fuston on Wednesday during an alleged altercation.

Joshua Kyle Ramsey, 31, admitted that he shot Fuston after he forced his way back into their home when he was asked to leave.

Ramsey and his wife Adeana contend that they were assaulted by Fuston during the altercation.

Email newsletter signup

Bell County Deputy Justin Patterson is leading the investigation with assistance from deputy Jake Perry.

Patterson stated that Ramsey said he was in fear of the safety of his family, which caused him to shoot Fuston.

There are no charges filed against Ramsey and the Bell County Sheriff’s Office is still considering this as an active investigation as they continue to interview people in the area.

Just after 11 p.m. on Wednesday, Bell County Dispatch received a call from a woman stating there was a disturbance at a residence on Bradford Town Right Road.

Bell County deputies Patterson, Perry, and Kentucky State Police Trooper Josh Messer responded to the scene.

According to reports, the woman called dispatch back while officers were responding saying she heard gunshots coming from the home.

When officers arrived, Patterson and Perry were greeted by the homeowners on the front porch stating they had been attacked. Further investigation determined that Fuston was there visiting but was asked to leave several times. Fuston left and the homeowners locked the house up for the night but according the report, Fuston forced himself back inside the home.

Patterson states that the homeowners claimed Fuston was asked to leave again but once inside assaulted them both. The fighting continued until the homeowner drew his firearm and discharged it, shooting the man because he was in fear for the safety of his family.

Bell County EMS responded and attempted to transport Fuston to a landing zone to be flown out. Due to the severity of the gunshot wounds, he was taken to the Southeastern Kentucky Medical Center where he later passed away.